duminică, 15 mai 2016
Pope-Waverley Victoria Phaeton 1906 - World Of Classic Cars -
In 1898, the American Electric Vehicle Company of Chicago merged with the Indiana Bicycle Company in Indianapolis, Indiana, part of Colonel Albert Pope's cycle empire. The Waverley Electric was introduced that year under the auspices of the American Bicycle Company, another of Pope's entities.
By 1901, the International Motor Car Company had developed a more dominant place in the market and in 1903, the Colonel decided to put his name to it. During the Pope years, the car was marketed in a plethora of models. The Model 67 Victoria Phaeton, with leather top, sold for $1,600 and, with a catchy tagline, "Friends who own Electrics go around in comfort and luxury without soiling their hands, gloves or clothing and without fuss or noise," sold well.
The black paint is professionally striped in red and yellow and looks good, harmonising seamlessly with the black leather fenders. Lighting consists of electric coach lamps at the front and a small tail lamp at the rear, again, all finished in black. The seat is upholstered in a floral print buttoned fabric with an additional rear-facing occasional seat to the right side; the driving position offers tiller-steering on the left and full leather-lined hood and complementary leg knee-covers.
Purchased by the previous owner from the James Cousens, Cedar Crossing Collection in 2008, it was then imported into the UK where modern professional batteries and charging system were fitted giving it a range of up to 50 miles. It is an excellent example of a pre-1910 electric Phaeton and progress is swift, as demonstrated by an extremely comfortable drive in the sunshine.