marți, 3 mai 2016

Buick Century Caballero Estate Wagon 1957 - World Of Classic Cars -

Buick Century Caballero Estate Wagon 1957

It was not until 1940 that Buick added a wagon to their catalogue, though specialty builders had constructed bodies to special order on Buick chassis prior to that time. Although many manufacturers confined their wagons to the lower-priced series—Ford considered them commercial cars until 1939—Buick made them upmarket models. The introductory 1940 wagons were in the Super series, although in 1941 and ’42, they moved down a notch to the 40-B line, the more upscale of two Special models. Always, though, they were called Estate Wagons, leaving no doubt as to their status.
Buick Century Caballero Estate Wagon 1957

After World War II, Buick’s Special offered sedans only. The wagon reappeared as a Super and was joined by the longer-wheelbase Roadmaster stablemate for 1947. Bodies for both were built by Ionia Manufacturing Company in Michigan. By 1949, the wood sections appeared ornamental but were, in fact, still structural members of the body. What Buick lacked in being a Johnny-come-lately to the marketplace was more than made up for with the last true wood wagon in 1953. Following the groundbreaking Plymouth Suburban of 1949, all other manufacturers had long since gone “all steel.”
Buick Century Caballero Estate Wagon 1957

For 1954, Buick, too, went all steel, with two handsome four-door Estate Wagons, one in the Special series and the other in the reestablished Century line. These offerings continued into 1955 and ’56, but for 1957, Buick had another trick up its sleeve. There was a four-door Estate Wagon in the Special series as well as a Riviera hardtop Estate Wagon. The more upscale and more powerful Century offered a hardtop wagon bearing the moniker Caballero, invoking a Spanish idiom. Interestingly, the Caballero was more popular than either of the Special wagons, with 10,186 built. A third seat became an optional accessory.
Buick Century Caballero Estate Wagon 1957

Purchased new through William Murphy Buick in Culver City, California, this 1957 Century Caballero Estate Wagon is believed to have had only two private owners. Its first owner, in Rancho Palos Verdes, California, kept it until 2012, when it was donated to the George W. Bush Foundation. At that point, it was fully restored by Jay Leno’s Big Dog Garage and signed “George W. Bush #43” by the former president on the inside of the driver’s door. The restoration was done by Leno’s team at no cost to the Bush Foundation, whereupon the car was sold to benefit the George W. Bush Military Service Initiative, a charity for post-9/11 veterans.

At restoration, a couple of technology touches were installed, including dual circuit power hydraulic brakes and Vintage Air climate control. The six-passenger wagon has a large covered storage well in the rear section. Other equipment includes power steering, a radio, and seat belts.