luni, 18 aprilie 2016

Talbot-Lago T23 Major 4-Litre Cabriolet 1939 - World Of Classic Cars -

Talbot-Lago T23 Major 4-Litre Cabriolet 1939

By 1933, despite Talbot-Lago’s racing successes at Le Mans, Indianapolis, and the French Grand Prix, the sales branch in Suresnes was in danger of bankruptcy. In fact, it seemed that Sunbeam-Talbot-Darracq was on its last legs when a young Italian engineer named Anthony Lago was appointed general manager in 1934. After having worked with Sunbeam and Wilson, Lago ultimately found his way to Sunbeam-Talbot-Darracq, which sent him to France in a last-ditch effort to save Automobiles Talbot.
Lago hired an engineer named Walter Brecchia, with whom he created the first Talbot-Lago to be based on a Talbot-Darracq three-litre Type K78. Although these first cars were nicely designed, they were hardly exciting driving machines, as they were ill-suited for racing and had poor platforms for elegant custom coachwork.
Talbot-Lago T23 Major 4-Litre Cabriolet 1939

Brecchia’s next engine proved to be a brilliant design, however. It was based on the seven main-bearing six-cylinder K78 block, its displacement was increased to four litres, and a new cylinder head was fitted, which dramatically improved both breathing and volumetric efficiency. The engine featured a hemispherical head design, where a valve gear was actuated by a low-set camshaft and crossed pushrods acted through both long and short rocker arms. With twin Solex carburettors, the new six could produce 140 horsepower at 4,200 rpm.
The engine was also remarkably race-worthy, as all three Talbot Lagos in the 1936 French Grand Prix finished in the top 10, putting up a good battle against the Bugattis before mechanical problems slowed them down. The following year, Talbot Lagos came in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 5th at the same race. Lago’s dream of producing one of the world’s greatest sports cars was now a reality.
Talbot-Lago T23 Major 4-Litre Cabriolet 1939

The “Baby Talbot” presented here, chassis number 93615, is a desirable long-chassis Major model that has beautiful Talbot-built cabriolet coachwork. It has been in the family of its present owner, a well-known collector of classic cars, since 1971, when it was acquired from another long-term owner, a prominent architect in Zurich, Switzerland. Over the past few years, a complete restoration was performed by Swiss marque experts, which, along with the car’s history, is well-covered by a collection of accompanying receipts and correspondence. Amongst the work performed was a complete inspection of the wooden body framework, where new pieces were installed through the use of proper kiln-dried ash wood; a rebuild of the transmission; and a new top, headliner, leather upholstery, and carpeting for both the interior and luggage compartment. Trim found throughout the car is beautiful chrome-plated brass.