sâmbătă, 16 aprilie 2016

Lea Francis 2½ Litre Westland Sports 1950 - World Of Classic Cars -

Lea Francis 2½ Litre Westland Sports 1950

Richard Lea and Graham Francis entered into partnership in August 1895 to make advanced and relatively expensive cycles of quality in Lower Ford Street, Coventry. Their motorcycles which were built from 1912 to 1924 by which time, the first successful light cars with Meadows engines were in production. Their  first supercharged production car did well in racing winning the 1928 TT but the effects of the depression, exacerbated by an unsuccessful attempt to move upmarket with a twin ohc six-cylinder car, resulted in receivership in the early 30s.
Lea Francis 2½ Litre Westland Sports 1950

Lea-Francis was revived under new management in 1937 to produce a new car designed by ex-Riley man, Hugh Rose. Few of these cars were produced pre-war but after 1945, their successors with 14hp and (from 1949) 2½ litre power proved popular, both in the form of saloons and attractive sports cars.