sâmbătă, 2 aprilie 2016

Ferrari 250 GT Coupé by Pinin Farina 1960 - World Of Classic Cars -

Ferrari 250 GT Coupé by Pinin Farina 1960

The new 250 GT coupé, introduced at the 1958 Paris Motor Show, was a decisive step forward toward true series production for Ferrari. With this new coupé, Pinin Farina coachwork replaced the Boano- and Ellena-built cars, and 353 examples were built by the time production concluded. It was a true ‘gentleman’s Ferrari’ in every sense of the phrase, thanks to its elegant styling that surrounded the luxurious interior. The new 250 GT Pinin Farina Coupé became Ferrari’s most commercially successful model.
Under the hood was Ferrari’s renowned 3.0-litre Colombo V-12, producing 240 horsepower at 7,000 rpm and topped with three twin-choke Weber carburettors. Born and developed in the crucible of motorsport, this engine provided the 250 GT with a top speed just shy of 150 mph, and it could reach 60 mph in seven seconds, which is impressive for a car of its class and faster than many comparable offerings from Aston Martin, Jaguar, and Maserati.
Ferrari 250 GT Coupé by Pinin Farina 1960

Chassis 1749 GT, as presented publically for the first time in over 17 years, was sent to Carrozzeria Pinin Farina by Ferrari on 22 January 1960 to have its timelessly elegant coupé coachwork fitted. The work at Pinin Farina was completed on 4 March 1960, and the car was then sold new through the Milanese Ferrari dealer M. Gastone Crepaldi to Mr Italo Bottazzi in Milan. The car was delivered in the truly elegant colour combination of Nero Tropicale IVI over a light beige interior.
The Ferrari was then exported to the USA where it resided with Glenn Zacharias in California in 1976. Subsequently, 1749 GT was returned to Italy where it was fully restored. Body work was performed by Dino Cognolato’s Carrozzeria Nova Rinascente in Vigonza, and the mechanical work was carried out by Corrado Patella, Auto Officina Omega, in Italy in the 1990s. During the restoration, a new replacement block was fitted to the car. Chassis 1749 GT was then in the ownership of Sig. Cazzola who sold it in the late ’90s in Paris. The car passed to another Italian collector, Sig. Provenzi, who used it sparingly before selling it to the current owner, based in England.