vineri, 4 martie 2016

Packard Model 30 (series U) - World Of Classic Cars - Rank 197

Packard Model 30 7-Passenger Touring 1908

The Packard Model 30 frequently also called Model U, was a four-cylinder car built in several series from 1907-1912. Together with the smaller Model 18 (1908-1912), it was Packard's last four-cylinder automobile. Model 30 was Packard's lone offering for 1907 and 1908. It established Packard as a luxury car maker.

Model history

The Packard Model 30 was a four-cylinder car with both closed and open bodies. Prices at introduction started with $4200 for open models and went up to $5500 for the limousine and $5600 for the landaulet. A 1911 Four-door Landaulet cost $5,750. Standard equipment included oil lamps, a tool kit, and two extra demountable rims. The closed cars also included speaking tubes, adjustable ventilators, and a dome light that had a separate battery. There was a speedometer and an air-pressure gauge. Wheelbase was 123 1/2" for the standard chassis.

Engine and drivetrain
Packard Model 30UC Open-Drive Limousine 1910

The Packard Model 30 had a water-cooled, four-cylinder, T-head engine delivering 30 hp (NACC) at 650 rpm. displacing 431.9 cubic inches (7078 cubic centimeters) with a bore 5 in (127 mm) and a stroke of 5.5 in (139.7 mm).
A plate clutch was blocked with the engine. Power was transmitted by a long shaft with universal joints to the three-speed sliding-gear manual gearbox with reverse. This was located in a housing at the rear axle which also contained the differential. The car used shaft drive from the beginning, although many other high-powered cars at this time relied on double-chain drive.
Packard Model UEFR '30' Limousine 1911

In 1909, redesigned linkage in the transmission made it possible for the reverse gear to be activated with the regular gear-shift. Since 1904, all Packards had had a separate lever for the reverse gear.

Chassis

The ladder-type frame used semielliptical leaf springs front and rear. Steering included now ball bearings instead of roller types, and featured a Pitman arm in front of the front axle.
Brakes were mechanical on the rear wheels only, working either by pedal (external contracting) or lever (internal expanding). Following the owner's manual, either was sufficient for stopping under normal conditions.