joi, 24 martie 2016

Lancia Aurelia B24S Spider America by Pinin Farina 1955 - World Of Classic Cars -

Lancia Aurelia B24S Spider America by Pinin Farina 1955

Success to European automakers after World War II meant success in the United States, where American currency was free-flowing in the post-war boom economy. As a result, many automakers developed models attuned to U.S. tastes. Lancia’s entry was a proper two-seater open sports model of their modern Aurelia, featuring the world’s first production V-6 engine, with a balanced transaxle and inboard rear brakes. Known, appropriately, as the Spider America, the new model was built on a shortened chassis with beautiful Pinin Farina styling, including a dogleg wrap-around windshield, no external door or trunk handles, and utterly fluid lines that ranked among the most beautiful anywhere. Perhaps unsurprisingly, the model was destined to become the summer driver of choice for the la dolce vita set.
Lancia Aurelia B24S Spider America by Pinin Farina 1955

The Spider America was launched in 1954 and saw production of 240 copies over the next two years. Survivors are among the most hotly desired of all post-war European sports cars and often figure into important collections, such as that of renowned enthusiast Craig McCaw.
Mr. McCaw’s Spider America, chassis number B24S-1131, is one of 181 original left-hand-drive examples and has spent its entire life in the forgiving Western United States. In 1992, it was owned by the president of the U.S. Lancia Club, an avid vintage racer who had the car cosmetically restored by Italian Lancia expert Franco de Piero, while his full-time mechanic restored the car’s numbers-matching drivetrain. During the restoration, the original single Weber carburetor was replaced by a period-correct Nardi twin-carburetor conversion set-up, which, along with the Borrani center-lock wire wheels and the signature Nardi steering wheel, completes the highly desirable Nardi package.
Lancia Aurelia B24S Spider America by Pinin Farina 1955

Subsequently, the car became part of the respected Paul and Chris Andrews Collection of fine performance cars in Fort Worth, Texas, where it was well maintained and continued to be enjoyed until its acquisition for the McCaw stable several years ago.
As presented today, the car is finished in a rich and beautiful dark navy blue and remains in fine condition, a testimonial both to the quality of the car prior to the restoration and to the caliber of the restoration work itself. Only minor evidence of aging can be found upon close examination, as the restoration begins to mellow. The interior is very fresh, with only light wear to the seat cushions and a handsome embossed floor mat.
Lancia Aurelia B24S Spider America by Pinin Farina 1955

Under the hood is evidence of both the car’s originality and detailing; the engine bay is beautifully detailed but not over-restored, and the motor number, B24-1171, can still be found stamped into both cylinder heads. The underbody is undercoated and appears fresh, with minimal wear and soiling.
The Spider is accompanied by painstakingly restored removable side glasses, which can be easily stored in the trunk. The convertible top was replaced during the restoration; despite being a Fifties design, it is very simple to erect and seals nicely. When lowered, it disappears completely from view.
Lancia Aurelia B24S Spider America by Pinin Farina 1955

These stunning Spiders are highly prized by their intensely loyal owners, offering a nearly ideal combination of driving characteristics; they are fast, with delightfully nimble handling, quick and responsive steering, and undeniable grace and beauty. Their racing bloodlines and thoroughly sporting manner makes them not only eligible for but also ideal candidates to participate in virtually any important driving event worldwide.